Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Darren Shan Movie Trailer


Over six years ago I won a competition. The answer to it was simple; who wrote Dracula? (that's Bram Stoker, shame on you if you didn't already know that). The prize for said competition was the Darren Shan Saga (only about six or seven of the books had been written at the time). When I received the books I hadn't ever heard of them before, but I liked the idea of reading a series without getting half-way through and running out of money. I instantly fell in love with the saga and since then I have read the entire series (all twelve books) five times.

Then about three years ago Darren Shan did a reading in my hometown of Kilkenny. I was gutted that I couldn't go; I had already promised to babysit and couldn't get out of it. Luckily an awesome friend of mine offered to bring one of my Darren Shan books and try get him to sign it. I was really touched by this but didn't expect to actually get my book signed.
Incredibly, the next day I found myself holding my beloved, and well-thumbed book signed by the man himself; reading "To Lynda, sorry you couldn't come along!! Maybe our paths will cross some other time!!". I was ecstatic. I was sure at that moment that I would never outgrow the series.

Now as I sit here a newly made adult I still love the books, and I am currently undertaking my sixth reading of them. I have finally seen the trailer for the first Darren Shan Movie; Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant, and unlike so many of the stories I grew to love while I was younger, it didn't disappoint me. The movie will be released on 23rd Of October and you will be sure to see me queuing alongside many other fans.
The Darren Shan Saga is a brilliantly written series and I hope that the movies will get the fame they deserve and in turn give the books the recognition they deserve. I think that this movie will be huge anyway because of the vampire phenomenon that the Twilight Series has already started. Even though I know a lot of Twilight fans are going to jump onto the vampire bandwagon and 'love' the Darren Shan movie I don't care because I love it so much myself and I think that more fans means more readers and Darren Shan needs to be read.

Summary Of Plot line
I don't want to give too much away so I will just give some brief outlines. Also it seems that some of the movie plot differs from the actual books and certain parts have been omitted.

Darren Shan is still in school when he and his friend Steve decide to sneak out and visit the Cirque Du Freak. Entranced by the tarantula in one of the performing acts Darren decides to steal her for himself. He then decided to introduce his new pet to Steve who she bites and sends into a near-death state. The spider's owner, the vampire Mr Crepsley, offers to save Steve in return for Darren becoming a vampire. With the aid of Mr Crepsley, Darren fakes his death and joins the Cirque as the vampire's assistant. The cirque is full of some...interesting characters, and Darren happens to restart a 200 year old vampire feud along his journey.

This is not a movie to be missed, it's funny, interesting and downright original.
God I love vampires.

UPDATE:

When I did finally get to see the movie I ended up writing this not so great review. 

No comments: